Re: Is anyone running NCL on Amazon's EC2 or other cloud computing environment?

From: Gerald Creager <gerry.creager_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 06:32:46 MST

This is streaming off-topic, and for that I apologize. However, as
cloud computing catches more hype, I feel a skeptic ought to show his
head...

One of the key problems (and as yet neither resolved, nor
well-understood by most users of cloud services... nor cloud providers)
is how to determine limits for memory, bandwidth, etc.

Realizing that a lot of cloud instances expect or require virtualization
to run, you have several limitations auto-imposed, some of which you
might be able to control, but some which reside in, e.g., Amazon's
domain. What're the virtual machine limits on memory? What are the
host-hardware's memory, clock-speed and bandwidth limitations? How much
of a physical host do you get when you load that VM up? Some of these
are still imponderables, making me wonder if the potential for cloud
computing has been well-considered.

The idea of a cloud rental, per the wikipedia definition, is very
attractive. How nice it'd be to let someone else manage the commodities
of hpc/htc instead of doing that myself. But for HPC, certainly,
maintaining a well-coupled machine interconnect is a great benefit to
model performance, and for my HTC requirements, maintaining my own
control of storage assets, and storage-interconnect assets, aids in
performance.

gerry