Re: [ncl-install] undefined symbol: sd_ncvargetg

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 17:41:36 MST

Hi Sourish,

I think the problem is in the way you built the HDF 4 library. HDF has
its own version of the NetCDF interface, which must be disabled if you
are going to link to the actual NetCDF library in addition to HDF.
When disabled, substitute wrapper routines with the 'sd_' prefix are
supplied for the NetCDF calls. Depending on which version of HDF you
have you to add to the HDF configure line either:
    '-DHAVE_NETCDF' (meaning there is an external version of the
NetCDF library), or
    '--disable-netcdf' (meaning disable the internal HDF NetCDF API)

The first is used with HDF4.2r1
The second is used with HDF4.2r4 (the current version I think).

See the section on builiding HDF4 in http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml
  for more information.
Hope this helps.
  -dave