Re: mjo

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 11:40:02 MST

The EOFs are derived from a covariance matrix.
Only mathematical/numerical operations. *No* physics is involved.

Any physical interpretations are 'yours'.

On 01/04/2010 06:11 AM, Maurice.McHugh@noaa.gov wrote:
> Regarding the sign in EOF analyses, the point is that EOF analysis can tell where OLR values are varying out of phase -- having opposite signs -- the exact sign is irrelevant. You can simply multiply your results by -1. to change the sign if you so desire as you're not changing the nature of the covariance across your domain or between variables.
>
> Maurice

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate&  Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |