How to speed up my script for finding matching points, getting the data and making scatter plots

From: Yongxin Zhang <yongxin.fred_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 10:58:54 MST

I have three sets of netCDF files for the month of August, hourly precip
analyses with grids of 1191 X 765, hourly precip forecasts from WRF Domain 1
with grids of 439 X 301, and hourly precip forecasts from WRF Domain 2 with
grids of 1190 X 764. The analyses domain and WRF Domain 2 are identical
except offset by 1 point in each direction. What I wanted to do is to find
every matching point in the analyses domain and WRF Domain 2 to that of the
WRF Domain 1, then read out the data and make the scatter plots. However, my
scipt is extremely slow: still running after two nights and one day. I have
two do loops in my script and those are where things really slow down. I
attached my script (named precip_hourly_scatter.ncl) to this email. I am
wondering if you have any suggestions on how to speed up the execution of
this script. Thank you.

Best of the Holidays,
Yongxin