Re: NCL 64-bit build with Snow Leopard?

From: Ian Harris <i.harris_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 09:40:03 MST

Adding to what I wrote below..

I just went back to my old 5.1.1 installation, on my 10.4/G5 Mac with 5GB - and the same file was processed without crashing by the same script! Memory usage was much lower, about 0.5GB real and 1GB virtual.

So, it must be my installation?

Sorry..

Harry

On 12 Jan 2010, at 15:10, Ian Harris wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> With a lot of patient help from Mary, I now have NCL installed on a 64-bit Snow Leopard Mac (with 8GB of memory). Hurrah!
>
> And then I tried out my complicated regridding program. It worked as before, until it got to a particularly large model data file, and died with a malloc error:
>
> ncl(92301) malloc: *** mmap(size=933122048) failed (error code=12)
> *** error: can't allocate region
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> fatal:NclMalloc Failed:[errno=12]
> Bus error
>
> This may be over 2gb in total as it's a reshaping: size in = 233280000 cells, size out = 233280000 cells, floats are 4 bytes each so we're close to 2gb but should be under? The malloc() call is failing with 933122048 which is pretty much 233280000 * 4 bytes. Now I really have deleted everything else prior to the reshape, but in any case, as no one variable is over 2GB should it not work?
>
> I am also puzzled that:
>
> 1. Memory usage at the time of the crash is 1.15GB real, 1.33 virtual. But there's plenty of free 'real' memory so why use virtual? I guess that may be the OS's decision.
>
> 2. In the Activity Monitor, ncl appears to have a 'kind' of 'PowerPC', instead of 'Intel (64 bit)'. Hopefully that's not important.
>
> Cheers for any helpful observations. And do we have a date for version 5.2.0 yet?

Ian "Harry" Harris
Climatic Research Unit
School of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia
Norwich NR4 7TJ
United Kingdom

IMPORTANT NOTICE - This email is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. You must not copy, distribute or take action in reliance upon it. Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard emails, The School of Environmental Sciences cannot guarantee that attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems and does not accept liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.