Re: memory question

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jan 11 2010 - 11:17:36 MST

You should be able to:

   f = addfile(....)
   t = f->T

NCL does not read in the entire contents of the files.

On 01/11/2010 10:27 AM, Po-Lun Ma wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This may sound a stupid question.
>
> I have 4GB RAM in my desktop running Linux. Can I read in a .nc file
> that is 6GB? In other words, I have a netcdf data file that is 6GB,
> but I only need one variable in that file. I am wondering when I do:
>
> f=addfile(....)
>
> Does it read in the entire dataset and requires 6GB RAM?
>
> Or, when I do
>
> t=f->T
>
> and t is a very small data array of, say, (100,100), then my 4GB RAM
> is large enough?
>
> Please advise. Thanks.
>
> Po-Lun

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate&  Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |