Re: Grib to netCDF conversion error

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 13:56:41 MST

In this case, assuming the wgrib2 -netcdf option documentation (http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/netcdf.html
) is correct, I don't think that wgrib2 will be able
to convert this file to NetCDF either. Grid template 3.204 is for
"Curvilinear Orthographic Grids" and was added fairly recently. It is
not one that the NetCDF module in wgrib2 accepts. It's possible that
you might be able to get wgrib2 to write out ascii or binary data in
some fashion.

That said, NCL does not support the GRIB2 orthographic grid yet
either. Our policy is not to support new features until we have an
actual example of a file that contains the feature. However, now that
we have an example we will try to add support for this grid type as
soon as possible. As far as the code table entries, we are definitely
going to be updating all the tables very soon. I am sorry that I
cannot offer an immediate solution for you. TGF -- thanks for pointing
us to these files.
  -dave