Re: EOF analysis on dataset w/ missing values

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Feb 03 2010 - 21:11:37 MST

No details provided. I assume that you mean spatial
interpolation.

The EOF pattern is domain sensitive. If you do
extensive spatial interpolation that will affect
both the patterns and the PCs.

An extreme example: if you have SST would you interpolate over land
and then compute the EOFs. Would you expect the ocean patterns to be
tha same as using ocean only points? No.

==
Common sense must rule.

I'd compute the EOfs with missing data.