Re: weather symbol plot

From: Fred Clare <fredclare_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Feb 07 2010 - 23:51:43 MST

On Feb 7, 2010, at 10:36 PM, Correia, James wrote:

> Hi-
> I am attempting to plot up some surface observations on a map. I
> have a ascii text file of these hourly surface observations for 1
> month (800,000 observations).
> I am trying to follow the example under the wmstnm built-in function
> example.
>
> Is there any simple way to take my integer wind speed, direction,
> temperature, and dew point temperature data and turn it into the
> correct character format?

> It looks to me like I need to write some fortran code to convert the
> integers into the specified character array. Has anyone already done
> this?
>
> Or is there a better way to construct the imdat array in the example?

The imdat array follows the standard format for specifying SYNOP data
as found at sites like

  http://weather.unisys.com/wxp/Appendices/Formats/SYNOP.html

and

  http://www.wmo.ch/pages/prog/www/DPS/Manual/WMO485.pdf

I know of no function that will convert your integer data into the
appropriate imdat string. Perhaps someone else has done this.

Regards,

Fred Clare