vorticity anomalies

From: <shinnshinnwong_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 19 2010 - 01:55:47 MST

Dear ncl users,
I am now writing a code to extract 20-100 day 850hPa vorticity anomalies
for mjo study. Below is the outline of my code:

ihp = 2 ; bpf=>band pass filter
nWgt = 201
sigma = 1.0 ; Lanczos sigma
fca = 1./100.
fcb = 1./20.
wgt = filwgts_lanczos (nWgt, ihp, fca, fcb, sigma )

vrt = uv2vrG_Wrap(u,v) ; compute the vorticity from u and v
xClmDay = clmDayTLL(vrt, yyyyddd) ; compute the daily climatology at each
grid point
xAnom = calcDayAnomTLL (vrt, yyyyddd, xClmDay) ; subtract the mean daily
annual cycle from the raw daily data
xAnom = wgt_runave_leftdim (xAnom, wgt, 0) ; apply filter

The result seems to be different from what is expected. The region expected
to have positive vorticity anomalies appears to be negative and vice
versa.So Is this a feasible way of computing vorticity anomalies or have I
made any mistakes? Any help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Shinn