Re: missing data problem

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 08:27:51 MST

specx_anal works on a one-dimensional series

         function specx_anal (
                 x [*] : numeric, <=== one-dimensional
                 iopt [1] : integer,
                 jave [1] : integer,
                 pct [1] : numeric
         )

What are you using for "x" ?

your SST ... Is this a global average or regional average series?

It is unlikely you want the power spectrum at every grid point ...
However, if that is what you want, you will have to use a loop

    do nl=0,nlat-1
      do ml=0,mlon-1
         if (all(.not.ismissing(sst(:,nl,ml)))) then
             dof = specx_anal (sst(:,nl,ml),iopt,jave,pct)
            ;whatever
         end if
      end do
     end do

On 03/09/2010 07:34 AM, Mary Haley wrote:
> I think you will need to interpolate to fill in the missing values. See:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2008/0867.html
>
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Ioana Colfescu wrote:
>
>> Sorry for asking an incomplete question : The error message is
>> 'missing values not permitted' and is given when I try to use the
>> built in function 'specx_anal' . I checked the documentation and it
>> seems that there are not missing values admitted when using this
>> function indeed. Since there is SST data , what can one do in case you
>> only have over ocean but nothing on continents and you still want to
>> calculate the spectrum ?I think is possible to calculate a spectrum
>> for such values but I'm not sure how NCL deals with this problem .

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |