area_hi2lores question

From: Ian Harris <i.harris_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Mar 08 2010 - 10:51:20 MST

Hi

I need to progressively loosen the resolution of a gridded dataset.

For example, I have model output from INGVSX that is 160 (lats) x 320 (lons).

I would like to produce lower res versions, produced by taking consecutive 2x2 blocks of cells and weightlessly averaging them, then taking 3x3, and finally 4x4. These blocks do not overlap; they 'tile' the original grid.

Obviously this would take a long time if I did it with loops! However, I found area_hi2lores, which looks as if it could help. What I need to know is this:

If I give area_hi2lores some coordinates that point to the centres of tiled blocks of (say) 16 cells, will all 16 cells be included in the scope of the output value, or is the scope calculated as a circle of influence, thus missing the corner cells?

 _ _ _ _
|X|_|_|X|
|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|
|X|_|_|X|

I hope I've explained that properly!

Cheers

Harry
Ian "Harry" Harris
Climatic Research Unit
School of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia
Norwich NR4 7TJ
United Kingdom

IMPORTANT NOTICE - This email is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. You must not copy, distribute or take action in reliance upon it. Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard emails, The School of Environmental Sciences cannot guarantee that attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems and does not accept liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.