Re: extrapolation using NCL ???

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Mar 21 2010 - 08:04:30 MDT

Hi Ufuk

Extrapolation is always dangerous!!

Having said that, see the "Grid Fill" Applications examples

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/grid_fill.shtml

In particular,
example 2 [right example .... looks good]
Example 4 [rightmost example: middle plots
  *950hPa looks 'ok' (not extensive extrapolation)

  *1000hPa is not so good (*extensive* extrapolation)

--
My speculation is that you could use
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/poisson_grid_fill.shtml