Re: suppressing individual legend items

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Mar 31 2010 - 23:45:23 MDT

Hi Rob,

You're right, you can't set this resource when you create either an XY
plot or a contour plot, because
the internal Plot Manager is trying to control these items for you.

You might be better off creating the legend by hand, if you don't want
a legend item for every curve.
There's no way to turn individual ones off, unfortunately.

We have some examples of manipulating your own legend. To see some of
them, go to:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/

and click on "tips" at the top.

Search for the word "legend" just to get a feel for the types of
topics that are available. Of particular interest
may be "Attaching a custom legend to a map" (you can use this for any
plot), "Attaching a legend to a plot",
"Drawing a custom legend inside an XY plot", etc".

Most of these probably lead you to the "Legends" applications page, or
the XY apps page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/legend.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/xy.shtml (see examples 18 and 19)

--Mary