Plotting partial data

From: Tong Qi <tongqi2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 14:22:08 MDT

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way for NCL to automatically filter out
parts of a plotted data field when only a certain subset of the data is
plotted. For example, if I plot only the western hemisphere vs. the entire
globe, since NCL was assigned the full data, it will adjust its labels to
include all values from the entire globe, even if they are not present in
the area of interest. I know one way is to first look at the data, then
assign only the subset that I am interested in, such as

data=file->data(0:179,:)

to correspond with

res@mpMaxLonF=0

This would ensure that values outside of the area of interest are not
included in the plot, but the situation becomes tricky if the file uses
non-standard latitude/longitude mappings and I want to subset a more precise
area rather than just a hemisphere. I am hoping there is some sort of
automatic solution for subset plots.

Thanks,
-Tong