Re: Help for ncl-5.2.0

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2010 - 10:36:12 MDT

On Apr 15, 2010, at 4:21 AM, BC wrote:

> I just download the NCL Version 5.2.0 precompiled binaries,
> ncl_ncarg-5.2.0.Linux_i686_gcc432.tar.gz. My computer platform is
> Fedora 11,i686. Unluckily, when I run ncl, some information turn
> out like this ncl: /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information
> available (required by ncl)
> ncl: /lib/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available
> (required by ncl)
>
> How can solve the problem? Thank you for your attention!

This is the one problem I'm afraid some users of the new NCL are
going to run into.

The NCL binaries are now OPeNDAP-enabled, which means there are a
number of dependencies on shared libraries. If you try to run "ncl"
and get one or more errors about not finding "libxxx.so" files,
then you may need to install the "OpenSSL" software on your system,
or find where it resides on your system and point to it.

First, try typing:

   locate libcrypto.so.0.9.8

If it resides on your system somewhere, then see these linux notes
about how to
set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point to it:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/linux.shtml

If you don't have this library, then you may be able to install it
using "yum":

   yum install openssl

or:

   apt-get openssl
   apt-get install openssl

Please let me know if you are successful with this, so we can let other
Linux users know about the solution.

If there are other Linux-savvy users out there, let me know if there
are better
ways to download this software. The systems I compiled on came with
this software already installed.