Re: ut_calendar and UDUNITS_PATH

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Apr 23 2010 - 08:28:07 MDT

Dear Álvaro,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with this. I'm a little puzzled,
because it seems like internally,
the UDUNITS-2 code is actually looking at UDUNITS_PATH and favoring this
over UDUNITS2_XML_PATH.

Can you tell me what UDUNITS environment variable you currently have
set and
what you have it set to?

Also, if you did try to set UDUNITS2_XML_PATH to NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/
udunits,
that that is an error. You need a "$" in front of the path:

    setenv UDUNITS2_XML_PATH $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/udunits

or

   export UDUNITS2_XML_PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/udunits

The NCL code is specifically checking for this environment variable,
and will
use it if set, but I'm worried that the internal UDUNITS code is then
using UDUNITS_PATH instead.

I think I may need to fix the code on our end to look for a
NCARG_UDUNITS setting, and
use this to overwrite any UDUNITS_XXXX settings, because there are
definite
incompatibilities between versions of UDUNITS-2.

--Mary