Re: WRF: Relative vorticity and Divergence

From: Evelyn Grell <Evelyn.Grell_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Apr 19 2010 - 12:08:29 MDT

It looks like there is already a WRF function for computing absolute
vorticity. See

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/Examples/DIAGNOSTICS/wrf_pv.htm

Could you just use this and subtract the Coriolis factor at each grid
point (or modify the function wrf_avo to compute relative vorticity)? I
couldn't find the function but it needs map factors as input, so it has
likely accounted for the coordinate issue.

- Evelyn