How to fix UDUNITS issue with NCL 5.2.0

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Apr 26 2010 - 10:05:26 MDT

Hi all,

I found the mystery behind why UDUNITS_PATH is affecting being able to run NCL 5.2.0.

This environment variable is only supposed to be associated with UDUNITS V1. NCL 5.2.0 was upgraded to work with UDUNITS V2, and thus this path should not be in use. However, I found a bug where NCL is still using this path if it is set.

The work-around for now is to setenv UDUNITS2_XML_PATH to $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/udunits/udunits2.xml
This setting will override UDUNITS_PATH. This allows you to keep UDUNITS_PATH set to whatever value you currently have.

The other work-around is to not set UDUNITS_PATH, but this is probably not feasible for most people. This environment variable may be needed if you are using other UDUNITS software that depends on UDUNITS V1.

I have already fixed the code so that you won't need to do this for the next release of NCL.

If none of these options work for you, send me an email.