Re: g2fsh_Wrap "problem"

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue May 04 2010 - 11:02:03 MDT

I would use bilinear interpolation. Using spherical harmonics
when the variable has a lower or upper limit [eg, 0 and/or 100]
could produce spectral ringing.

The 793393 seem bogus ...

bilinear interpolation [linint2_Wrap] allows _FillValue.
Unless you need all the grid poinys filled, I would set the
bogus points _FillValue. If you need all grid values filled,
then let the 'physics' dictate a reasonable value to use.

Good luck

On 05/04/2010 10:38 AM, Correia, James wrote:
> Hi everyone-
> I am working with some CCSM data, in particular the QREFHT fields from the
> current climate simulation (b30.030e.cam2.h0.QREFHT....).
>
> My issue was quite perplexing. I am performing a monthly analysis of May
> June July August specific humidity under climate change. I am comparing this
> data to some WRF downscaled runs.
>
> So my procedure is to extract the particular month into a time series,
> convert from the gaussian grid to a fixed grid using g2fsh_Wrap, so that I
> can then remap the data to my WRF grid.
>
> This works quite well for May, June, August. July fails.
>
> The only other oddity in the files involves the field itself. In Antartica,
> there are these values (793393 is but one example) which appear for January
> and July. It happens that these high values also appear in my future files,
> but only for January. Needless to say there is not one specific value to
> account for.
>
> So I used the where function to remove these high values and put really low
> values in their place (10^-6). Is this acceptable to do?
> The output looks ok now.
>
> jimmyc
>

> James Correia Jr., PhD
> Climate Physics Group
> Post. Doc.
> Pacific Northwest National Lab
>
> "Wisdom. Strength. Courage. Generosity. Each of us are born with one of
> these. It is up to us to find the other three inside of us."
> -Into the West

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |