Re: reading in array with dash in name

From: Gus Correa <gus_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon May 03 2010 - 17:37:08 MDT

Hi Joe, Adam, list

Very interesting.

I had the same exact problem some time ago, not with a variable name,
but with an attribute name that had a dash.
It would be interpreted as a minus sign, exactly as Joe reported.

If interested, mine is a global attribute called "cam-ready",
and it is part of the CCSM3/CAM3 aerosol mass file.
The CCSM3/CAM3 code checks to see if that attribute is there,
and stops otherwise!
Moreover, the aerosol mass file cannot be removed from the setup,
or CAM3 stops.
So, I had to keep the file and the attribute,
otherwise my runs would fail.
I found no way around and ended up skipping the attribute in NCL,
then adding it back with NCO ncatted, an ugly but functional solution.

Maybe the trick Adam taught us here could go to the FAQ.
Something like:

"How do I handle those pesky
variable and attribute names with dash?" :)

Thank you Joe for bringing this up!
Thank you Adam for pointing out a solution!

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA