3hrly to monthly function?

From: Anji Seth <anji.seth_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 26 2010 - 05:55:14 MDT

Hello NCL People,

I found in the archives that Dennis has an unsupported function to
calculate_monthly_values of a variable from 3hourly or daily values,
and that the time grid must be recognized as UT.

I'm trying this calculation on climate model data from a netcdf file
that has time units in hours since
010100 1968, so I think the time grid should be OK?

Below is what Dennis had written.
1. My first question: how is nDim used? It says "should generally be
zero"
Do I need to specify this for 3-hourly data, or does the function get
this from the time grid?

2. Is something special required to use the function? (e.g. I have
Dennis' utilities and contrib loaded).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Best, -Anji

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah> Date: Mon Feb 22
2010 - 11:21:41 MST

Attached is an unsupported function:

calculate_monthly_values

Note the the "time" coordinate variable associated

with the variable "x" must be recognized via "ut_calendar"

;---------------------------------

; undocumented

;

undef ("calculate_monthly_values")

function calculate_monthly_values (x:numeric, arith:string,

nDim[1]:integer, opt

[1]:logical)

; calculate monthly values [avg, sum, min, max]

; x: numeric array of 4D or less [eg: time,lev,lat,lon]

; *must* have time coordinate recognized by ut_calendar

; if 5D [case,time,lev,lat,lon]

; arith: "avg" [also, "ave"], "sum","min","max" others may be added

later

; nDim : scalar integer that specifies the 'time' dimension
[generally, 0]

; opt : option ... not used here

;

; Sample usage: x(time,lat,lon) where time are n-hrly or daily values.

; xMonthAvg = calculate_monthly_values(x, "avg", 0, False)

; xMonthSum = calculate_monthly_values(x, "sum", 0, False)

; xMonthMin = calculate_monthly_values(x, "min", 0, False)

; xMonthMax = calculate_monthly_values(x, "max", 0, False)

;

Anji Seth, Geography, UConn
http://twitter.com/AnjiSeth