drawing Taylor diagram ...

From: <u.utku.turuncoglu_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon May 17 2010 - 12:30:02 MDT

Hi,

I try to plot a Taylor diagram to compare the different model simulations
with observations. So, i have some basic question about the procedure;

1 - I am using monthly mean precipitation rate field (mm/day) and surface
temperature that is averaged over specified region (i will plot them in
different Taylor diagrams). Is it necessary to interpolate all model
results and observation into a common grid before calculating variances
and cross correlation?

2 - As you already know that the Taylor diagram NCL function basically
expects the ratio of the standardized variances and cross correlation
between model and observation. To calculate the variance, i am using
"variance" function but i think i have to standardize the fields before
applying variance function. Is it correct? If yes, can i use the
"dim_standardize" to do that? The current structure of my scripts seems
like,

model1_variance = variance(model1)
obs_variance = variance(obs)

cc = escorc(obs, model1)
ratio = model1_variance/obs_variance

but i think that it must be,

model1_variance = variance(dim_standardize (model1))
obs_variance = variance(dim_standardize (obs))

cc = escorc(obs, model1)
ratio = model1_variance/obs_variance

PS: you can find my taylor NCL scripts as attachment.

Any suggestions can be helpful.
Thanks,

--ufuk

believed to be clean.