Re: CCSM3 moisture flux divergence

From: Sang-Ki Lee <Sang-ki.Lee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon May 31 2010 - 09:10:03 MDT

Mike,

I did this long time ago using CAM3.0. If I remember correctly,
adding the following four lines in "diagnostics.F90" do the trick:

Line 118: call addfld ('UQ ','m/skg/kg',pver, 'A','Zonal water
transport',phys_decomp)
Line 173: call add_default ('UQ ', 1, ' ')
Line 480: ftem(:ncol, = state%u(:ncol,*state%q(:ncol,:,1)
Line 481: call outfld ('UQ ',ftem ,pcols ,lchnk )

Of course, you need to add "UQ" to the FINCL1 list.

Sang-Ki

> Hi Mike,
>
> A CAM/CCSM3 person responded as follows:
>
> "[the model] outputs VQ for meridional eddy flux computations, but not
> UQ. div(uq,vq) is not something that we do much at all"
>
> UQ and VQ are products [non-linear] so I don't think there is any
> way to compute UQ after the fact.

> On 5/28/10 1:37 PM, Michael Notaro wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to compute (monthly-mean) moisture flux divergence
>> from the CCSM3 standard output files? It includes VQ but not UQ.
>>
>> Michael

Sang-Ki Lee
RSMAS/CIMAS
University of Miami