Re: label bar for contour plot over a polar stereographic map

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 16:42:27 MDT

Hi Mariangel,
I didn't see anything wrong with your script, so I copied/modified it to
read in a sst dataset that I have handy, and to plot that using your
resource list. I was able to control the placement of the labelbar, in
that I pushed it far away from the plot (using
pmLabelBarOrthogonalPosF). I was also able to increase the label bar
font heights.. Plot and script are attached.

I'm not sure why your resources are being ignored. I see you're using a
test version of NCL. I ran my script using the local test version
5.2.1-07Jun2010_0131 and all was well.

Hopefully a developer can chime in here to help assess what is wrong.
Adam

On 06/07/2010 03:58 PM, Mariangel Fedrizzi wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> It didn't work.
> The version of NCL I'm using is: 5.2.1-28May2010_0735.
> So, I'm attaching the script and a png figure showing the resulting plot.
>
> Thanks,
> Mariangel.
>
> Adam Phillips wrote:
>> Hi Mariangel,
>> You should be able to move the label bar to the right by setting
>> pmLabelBarOrthogonalPosF = .05
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/pm.shtml#pmLabelBarOrthogonalPosF
>>

>> Without seeing your script, I'm not sure what issues you're having
>> with the labelbar resources being ignored.
>>
>> If the above doesn't help or if you are still having trouble with the
>> labelbar, please reply to the group and attach your script.
>> Adam
>>
>> On 06/07/2010 03:15 PM, Mariangel Fedrizzi wrote:
>>> Dear NCL users,
>>>
>>> I'm working on a contour plot over a polar stereographic map, and I'm
>>> having trouble with the overlapping of the vertical label bar (on the
>>> right side) and the polar plot (on the left side). I can't move the
>>> label bar to the right or the polar plot to the left. I also can't make
>>> changes in label bar. I'm making the plot using
>>> "gsn_csm_contour_map_polar".
>>>
>>> Any help would be very welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mariangel.

Adam Phillips
asphilli@ucar.edu
National Center for Atmospheric Research   tel: (303) 497-1726
Climate and Global Dynamics Division         fax: (303) 497-1333
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/asphilli