Re: calculation of dbz and mdbz in ncl

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 03 2010 - 15:59:50 MDT

Hi Jonathan,

You can actually look at the $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl script to see how various WRF variables are derived.

Search for the line:

  if( variable .eq. "dbz" .or. variable .eq. "mdbz" ) then

and you will see a big block of code. You'll see that it uses several variables: T, P, PB, QVAPOR, QRAIN (to name a few).

This piece of code uses an internal built-in "wrf_dbz" function to do part of its calculations.

I'm not sure about convective rain and how it might be represented in a WRF file. I've CC'ed wrfhelp@ucar.edu.

--Mary