How to call wind direction variables in NCL from U and V wind vectors

From: Jinwoong Yoo <jyoo2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 17:24:09 MDT

Hi.

I'd like to plot wind directions colored by azimuth angle for a visual effect.
I'm using NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis data so wind vector comes from u and v.

Since wind direction can be plotted with such as arrows or wind barbs,
I assume that there should be a way to call the wind direction.

If the wind direction (like from 0 to 360 degree to the north)can be called,
I think wind directions can be plotted with color as a scalar using plot
function such as gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map_ce.

Does anybody know how to call the wind direction?

Thank you.

Jinwoong Yoo