Re: passing multiple variables as a set

From: Rob Nicholas <rnicholas_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 15:44:11 MDT

Hi all,

Thanks for the various suggestions.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Dave Allured <dave.allured@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Consider using Netcdf files as containers.  They do exactly what you
> describe, except (1) they require space on disk and (2) they are
> slower than ram.  You can even have arrays of Netcdf files via the
> NCL file handles.

This makes a lot of sense and would definitely work. The major
drawback I see is that it's syntactically clunky, especially when
compared with Matlab's approach. I don't think reading and writing
from disk would pose a serious performance problem for the use I have
in mind.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1
<bruce.lunde@navy.mil> wrote:
> Hi Rob,  The best I've been able to do is attach
> items to a variable (either a variable you are actually
> using or a dummy one such as VAR=True) by means of
> attributes. You can attach all data types as attributes,
> as well as 1D and 2D arrays, e.g. VAR@lat2d = lat2d,
> VAR@name = "dummy", ... You can then pass this around.

This is what I've been doing so far and it works fine but for two
problems: attributes can't have named dimensions and, if you write the
variable to a NetCDF file, all of the attributes become 1-D. The
second part hasn't been much of problem in my situation, but the first
is a bit of a hassle -- it means creating additional attributes to
carry around the metadata for the arrays that I'm carrying around as
attributes!

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 2:04 PM, David Brown <dbrown@ucar.edu> wrote:
> We hope to fully implement the NCL 'list' type soon. This is a
> container type that can hold data of arbitrary types and shapes,
> including other lists, allowing for tree-type structures.

The "list" type is *exactly* what I'm looking for. I realize that
this is an experimental feature
(http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2010/1210.html) that
isn't really usable at this point -- any sense of when it might be
ready?

~Rob