wrf_uvmet and missing values

From: Melissa A Richards <Melissa.Richards_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 13:10:48 MDT

Hello,

I was wondering how wrf_uvmet handles missing values.

I have a wrf output file that has been made cf compliant (run through
the wrfout_to_cf.ncl program). This has unstaggered the variables and
interpolated vertical variables to pressure levels (i.e. 850 mb,
700mb, etc.).

I can read in this file and rotate 10 meter winds with no problems.
When I attempt to rotate 850 mb or 700 mb winds I run into a problem.
It seems that wrf_uvmet is using the missing values (@_FillValue =
-999999) in the rotating calculation and therefore, I am getting wind
speeds of 1,414,211 m/s. Note, if I change the missing value to
@_FillValue = -999, I get wind speeds of 1,412 m/s. Therefore, I do
believe that this is tied to the attribute @_FillValue. Any thoughts
on how to fix this?

Here is the relevant portion of the code.

u_gr_p = wrf->u_gr_p(0,2,:,:)
u_gr_p@_FillValue = -999999
u_gr_p@lat2d = wrf->lat
u_gr_p@lon2d = wrf->lon

v_gr_p = wrf->v_gr_p(0,2,:,:)
v_gr_p@_FillValue = -999999
v_gr_p@lat2d = wrf->lat
v_gr_p@lon2d = wrf->lon

uvm = wrf_uvmet(u_gr_p,v_gr_p,wrf->lat,wrf->lon,180.,1)

u = uvm(0,:,:)
v = uvm(1,:,:)

Thank you!
Melissa