Re: writing large files

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 06 2010 - 16:02:32 MDT

On 2nd look:

   MB = 4*365*231*180*360 => 360 MB

There should be *no problem* writing this out.

I speculate that you tried a version of the script and after
creating a reference to the file, it failed for some reason.

Many systems have the NC_CLOBBER set such that it will not aloow
a file to be overwritten if it already exits.

http://www.ipp.mpg.de/~dpc/netcdf_guide/guide_38.html

As noted at

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/o-netcdf.shtml

It is recommended to remove any preexisting file:

   diro = "./"
   filo = "simple.nc"
   patho= diro+filo

   system("/bin/rm -f "+patho) ; remove any pre-existing file
   ncdf = addfile(patho ,"c") ; open output netCDF file