Re: obj_anal_ic

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 06 2010 - 12:09:52 MDT

OK ... I see the issue.

The v5.1.0 contributed.ncl had

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/obj_anal_ic.shtml

This *NCL language* function was *slow* when a large number of values
were input. Hence, I replaced it with a fortran version.
The fortran had several additional features including the ability
to 'blend' different iterations. Likely, that is where the differences
occurred.

===
You can still use the original function by using the undocumented
function in contributed.ncl called

     function obj_anal_deprecated (....)

This is te original v5.1.0 version .... just a different name.
===
Also, you may wish to look at the Application URL "Random data to grid"

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/rdm2grid.shtml

It shows several different interpolations.

===

Good luck

On 07/06/2010 11:33 AM, Mary Haley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The obj_anal_ic routine wasn't available until version 5.2.0, so I'm
> not sure what you mean by using it in version 5.1.0.
>
> When you type "ncl -V" with the ncl that appears to be working, does
> it actually say "5.1.0"?
>
> --Mary
>
> On Jul 6, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Ángel G. Muñoz wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> Can anyone explain me what is the new algorithm for the
>> obj_anal_ic(_Wrap) function in version 5.2. I have been using the
>> one in 5.1.0 (which corresponds to a Cressman analysis) and there
>> are differences in the final output. I want to understand the new
>> methodology.
>>
>> Thanks

>> ncl-talk mailing list
>> List instructions, subscriber options, unsubscribe:

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |