Inconsistencies in the NCL string comparison operators

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 11:09:59 MDT

Ncl-talk members:

It has come to our attention that NCL's string comparison operators
have a major inconsistency: the relational inequality operators
(.lt., .gt., .le., .ge.) perform a case insensitive comparison, such
that strings like "units" and "Units" are treated as equal, while the
equality operators (.eq. and .ne.) are sensitive to the case, so
"units" is not equal to "Units". This seems wrong to us, and we are
planning to modify the inequality operators to make them case
sensitive like the equality operators. If anyone has comments or
objections to this plan please let us know. This change is scheduled
for the 6.0.0 release.
Thanks,
  -dave