overlay plot ncl 5.2.0 and earlier

From: Jan Sedlacek <jan.sedlacek_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 03:46:22 MDT

Hi

I'm plotting precipitation anomalies form a model ensemble and I'm
superimposing the significance with an overlay function. The code bit
looks like this:

plot(1) = gsn_csm_contour_map_polar(wks,precip_trans(1,:,:),res)

plot2 = gsn_contour(wks,precip_signif_trans(1,:,:),resb)
plot2 = gsn_contour_shade(plot2,-1,1,opt)

overlay(plot(1),plot2)

What I discovered is that the significance which is dotted in the plot
differs between the ncl versions. We have several versions installed and
running and it seems that the change occured betwen versions 5.1.0 and
5.1.1. We tested it with different precompiled versions from your
website and with the same versions we compiled ourselves. The results
are the same.

I have attached two plots, one from ncl 5.1.0 and one from 5.2.0 just to
give an example. On the left hand panel is a simple contour plot from
the significance and on the right hand panel is the plot as it should
be. The dots in the right hand panel should cover the same area as the
blue regions from the left hand panel. I have the impression that
version 5.1.0 draws the dots at the right place while 5.2.0 does not.

Is it possible that this is a bug? Or is there something that I need to
adjust in the code to make it work properly with newer versions?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,
Jan

--
Dr. Jan Sedlacek