Re: Error when using systemfunc in NCL 5.2.x under cygwin

From: Hoffman Cheung <hoffmancheung_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 26 2010 - 18:52:10 MDT

Hello,

  I have tried to test the problem for many times and the error randomly
(but usually) occurred which ceased the program. Unfortunately, this error
was also found to reproduce in other computers under cygwin.

  This time I just tried to print the system time for 10 times. The
following are the 10 trials and the program never finishes successfully.

Script

1. system("date")
2.
3. do i = 0, 10
4. print(i + " " + systemfunc("date"))
5. end do

1.

Tue Jul 27 08:38:46 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) 0 Tue Jul 27 08:38:46 CST 2010
(0) 1 Tue Jul 27 08:38:47 CST 2010
(0) 2 Tue Jul 27 08:38:47 CST 2010
(0) 3 Tue Jul 27 08:38:47 CST 2010
(0) 4 Tue Jul 27 08:38:47 CST 2010
(0) 5 -999
(0) 6 -999
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

2.

Tue Jul 27 08:38:51 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) 0 Tue Jul 27 08:38:51 CST 2010
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

3.

Tue Jul 27 08:38:54 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

4.

Tue Jul 27 08:38:57 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

5.

Tue Jul 27 08:38:59 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

6.

Tue Jul 27 08:39:08 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

7.

Tue Jul 27 08:39:12 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) 0 Tue Jul 27 08:39:12 CST 2010
(0) 1 Tue Jul 27 08:39:13 CST 2010
(0) 2 Tue Jul 27 08:39:13 CST 2010
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

8.

Tue Jul 27 08:39:20 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

9.

Tue Jul 27 08:39:23 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

10.

Tue Jul 27 08:39:26 CST 2010
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) 0 Tue Jul 27 08:39:26 CST 2010
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 4 in file
program_scripts/t_test/test_ncl521.ncl

Regards,
Hoffman