Re: Downloading NCL

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 09:38:36 MDT

On Aug 4, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just a couple of comments about the download
> procedure for the code/binaries for NCL from
> the www.earthsystemgrid.org web site.
>
> (1)
> It seems like there used to be a longer list
> of older NCL binaries/versions that you could
> get. For instance, I may be interested in getting
> an older 5.0.0 version, but I do not see any
> available at the web site.

Hi Bruce,

I chose not to make these binaries available, since they
are rather old. Do you need access to version 5.0.0?
If so, let me know what you need and I can put it on ftp.

> (2)
> Also, if you are looking for a precompiled
> binary for your system, you have to check both
> the OpenDap enabled and not enabled list, and
> you may have to check the enabled/not_enabled
> lists of several versions in order to find it
> (so you have to go back and forth between
> choosing the version, agreeing to terms, looking
> at what's in the enabled/not_enabled list, etc.).
>
> Maybe there is a way to list up front what is
> available under all the versions and their
> subcategories to allow the user to find what
> they need more quickly ?

That's an excellent idea. The ESG doesn't really allow me to do
this directly, but I can put the list on a website that you can consult
before going to the ESG.

Please see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/list_of_binaries.shtml

--Mary