Re: radiosonde data

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Aug 09 2010 - 12:53:27 MDT

On Aug 6, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Achraf Koulali Idrissi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I' using netcdf radiosonde data. In order to apply some climatologies, I use a conversion from 1d array variables to 4d using "onedtond" function.

This function is appropriate if the 1D array has the same number of elements as the 4D array that you plan to convert it to.

For example, if you have a 1D array with 120 elements, this can be converted to a 4D array of any of these sizes:

    2 x 3 x 4 x 5
    4 x 5 x 3 x 2
    2 x 5 x 3 x 4
    6 x 5 x 2 x 2

and so on.

If the 1D array is a *subset* of the 4D array that you want to convert it to, then
use "conform" or "conform_dims".

For example, if your 1D array is length 12, and you need to convert it to
a 12 x 5 x 10 x 20 array, then you could use:

    x4d = conform_dims((/12,5,10,20/),x1d,0)

This says to conform the "x1d"array to an array that is 12 x 5 x 10 x 20,
and that the 0-th dimension (the leftmost dimension) is the dimension
in the 4D array that the 1D array matches.

See:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/conform.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/conform_dims.shtml

--Mary