Re: ncl-talk Digest, Vol 81, Issue 25

From: <Mark.Collier_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat Aug 21 2010 - 22:35:44 MDT

Hi Bob,
I had the same understand gap as you, but if you follow the logic in
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/pp_conv_nc.ncl
you shouldn't have any difficulties.
Regards,
Mark.

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:45:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: Bob Tomas <tomas@ucar.edu>
Subject: writing to a netCDF file: possible to append new
        records?
To: ncl-talk@ucar.edu

Hello

I created a netCDF file with "time" as an unlimited, record dimension outside
of a do loop. Then, inside a do loop I read in some data, process it, and
write it out to my netCDF file. Each record is associated with an increasing
time coordinate value. I was hoping that this would produce a file of size
n, where n is the number of times I loop. Instead I get a file size with
one record in it. So instead of appending the records with each write,
it looks like I'm overwriting the record that is already in the file.

Is there something I'm possibly missing that will allow me to append records
to a netCDF file in ncl?

Thanks.

Bob

Robert A. Tomas
Climate and Global Dynamics Division - Climate Analysis & Oceanography
1850 Table Mesa Drive
Boulder, CO 80305-3000
e-mail: tomas@ucar.edu tel: 303-497-1342 fax: 303-497-1348