Re: Fwd: How to get the u component in divergence with missing data

From: Hobbs, Will R (3244-CalTech) <William.R.Hobbs_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Aug 27 2010 - 11:45:52 MDT

Yan

I'm a little confused by what you're trying to do. I 'think' that you're trying to compute the divergent zonal wind component for a non-global grid (i.e. you can't use spectral harmonics)?

If you want the ageostrophic wind component, and you have access to the geopotential height data, then I would suggest calculating the geostrophic zonal wind using the 'z2geouv' function, and then subtract that from the total wind, u.

If you just want the zonal part of the horizontal divergence (i.e. du/dx), you could just apply the 'center_finite_diff' function to the zonal wind, u.

Hope that helps

Will