Question about data types

From: Gina Henderson <ginah_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 09:29:21 MDT

Hi there,

I have a question about the correct function to use to convert a hexadecimal
input array to type float. If I use the function "stringtointeger" to
convert it I get the correct data ranges (from 0-255) but I also get the
following warning:

warning:Argument 0 of the current function or procedure was coerced to the
appropriate type and thus will not change if the function or procedure
modifies its value

If I use "byte2flt" to convert the data, I get no warning message but my
data range then only goes from 0-254 and all grids that were value = 255 are
now set to another value which I am pretty sure is 0.

The variable summary of the raw data array is included below. My question
is, should I be worried about the warning I get when converting the data
using "stringtointeger", as this method maintains the original data more
correctly that reading the data in and then converting it using "byte2flt".

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gina.

printVarSummary of original data array:

Variable: modis_per_byte
Type: byte
Total Size: 25920000 bytes
            25920000 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes: [YDim_MOD_CMG_Snow_5km | 3600] x
[XDim_MOD_CMG_Snow_5km | 7200]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 13
  long_name : Daily snow extent, global at 5km
  units : none
  format : I3
  coordsys : latitude, longitude
  valid_range : ( 0x00, 0x64 )
  _FillValue : 0xff
  Mask_value : 0xfe
  Night_value : 0x6f
  Cell_resolution : 0.05 deg
  Water_mask_land_threshold____ : 12
  Antarctica_snow_note : Antarctica deliberately mapped as snow
  Key : 0-100=percent of snow in cell, 107=lake ice, 111=night, 250=cloud
obscured water, 253=data not mapped, 254=water mask, 255=f ll
  hdf_name : Day_CMG_Snow_Cover
(0)
(0) Daily snow extent, global at 5km: min=0x00 max=0xfe