ARSCAM/ARPRAM - ALGORITHM FAILURE

From: mark collier <Mark.Collier_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 01:00:32 MDT

Hi, I've been trying to solve this problem on and off for a few weeks
now. I have a similar script plotting slightly different variables
(SSS rather than SST) but otherwise the same structure working.

I have uploaded the following to the incoming ftp area:

-rwxr-x--- 1 mac599 p66 4220 Sep 13 16:57 prob.ncl
-rw-r----- 1 mac599 p66 296772 Sep 13 16:47 sstanom_mom.nc
-rw-r----- 1 mac599 p66 116606472 Sep 13 16:42 grid_spec.auscom.
20100223.nc
-rw-r----- 1 mac599 p66 726973532 Sep 13 16:42
HIMom3_regrid_3d_salt_temp.nc
-rw-r----- 1 mac599 p66 875264 Sep 13 16:40 DSSTS.cdf
-rw-r----- 1 mac599 p66 311352 Sep 13 16:40 sstanom_him.nc
-rw-r----- 1 mac599 p66 14407988 Sep 13 16:40 levitus_ewg_temp_ANN.nc
-rw-r----- 1 mac599 p66 17000828 Sep 13 16:32 ocean.static.nc

When I run prob.ncl I get

ncl prob.ncl
  Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
  NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.0
  The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
  See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) =======> OBS SSS
(0) =======> GFDL-HIM
(0) =======> AusCOM
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: ARSCAM/ARPRAM - ALGORITHM FAILURE
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
warning:WorkstationDeactivate: workstation not active or not opened

I noted on the NCL site it says to report this bug as it comes up from
time to time and the solutions are not always easy.

If I change
    plots = new(12,graphic)
    plots = new(3,graphic)

and
    gsn_panel(wks,plots,(/6,2/),pnlres)
    gsn_panel(wks,plots,(/3,1/),pnlres)

it works perfectly. The issue is that I typically need to plot to all
of the panels where I read in many more datasets.

Might there be some quick fix for this where the numbers are slightly
modified (e.g. smoothed) but don't affect the basic result? I've tried
many things without overcoming the bug.

uname -a
Linux xe 2.6.27.49-1.8.3a #1 SMP Sat Aug 7 18:34:24 EST 2010 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,
Mark.