Can't Create Child Processes

From: Capehart, William J <William.Capehart_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2010 - 14:20:30 MDT

I’m doing a goodly amount of file management in one of my post-processing scripts where I am gunzipping and re-gzipping data before and behind me as I march through a lot of model output.

Recently, I’ve been hitting these errors when I use the function “systemfunc”:

fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=12]

Ideas? Note that the system() subroutine yields no such error. BUT. Instead, it fails to execute the requested shell command and keeps going drunkenly onward until it tries to open a file that hasn’t been gunziped or similar crash.

Thanks Much
Bill

Bill Capehart <William.Capehart@sdsmt.edu> Associate Professor
Institute of Atmospheric Sciences Department Chair
213 Mineral Industries Building
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Ph: +1-605-394-1994
501 East Saint Joseph Street Fax: +1-605-394-6061
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995 Mobile: +1-605-484-5692