the addfile command is very slow

From: Bjoern Maronga <maronga_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 04:06:46 MDT

Hello,

I have a problem using the NCL command "addfile" for loading NetCDF files,
that have a size of at about 4 gb (or larger). It takes about 5 minutes to
perform this command (I checked the better performance for smaller datasets).
In contrary, the following commands for loading data into arrays is fast.

For me it looks like "addfile" actually loads the whole amount of data into
the memory, even though only a small part will be loaded into arrays
afterwards. From my point of view, addfile only needs to read the metadata,
kind of a "ncdump" command, which takes for these files not more time than
for smaller files. I am very surprised by this finding and I'm wondering, if
this makes sense at all. I'm working with NCL for maybe two years now and
never noticed this behavior before. Has anything changed with the addfile
command? Currently, I am using version 5.2.0.

Best regards,
Björn Maronga