Re: Anonymous downloads for NCL/NCARG, PyNIO and PyNGL?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Oct 12 2010 - 15:22:14 MDT

Hi Charlie,

I agree that this download process is a bit of a pain.

The reason why we have to do it this way is because we have to be able to report
to NSF (our main funders) why we should be able to continue developing the
software. Anonymous metrics don't carry nearly as much weight as being able to
indicate what types of sites (universities, research companies, weather bureaus,
government sites, etc) are downloading the software, and how many of these
downloads are actually from unique users. Being able to say that X number of users
from Y countries is also very valuable to NSF. We have to prove that NCL is having
an impact on science, and that is one way of doing it.

There are some folks who have provided packaged NCL binaries for LINUX systems,
and we just quietly look the other way. :-)

--Mary