Re: remove wind vector outside of my domain box?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 09:59:09 MDT

My apologies, I don't know if this was ever answered.

The wmvectmap is a rather primitive routine and doesn't have a lot of options for control.

I believe the only want to cull out the vectors you don't want is to set the vectors outside your
domain to missing values.

For example, if you want to cull the vectors that fall outside the range of lat 36-42
and lon -82 to -77, then try something like this (untested):

  lat1d = ndtooned(lat)
  lon1d = ndtooned(lon)
  U1d = ndtooned(U)
  V1d = ndtooned(V)
  U1d@_FillValue = 1e20
  V1d@_FillValue = 1e20
  U1d = where(lat.ge.36.and.lat.le.42.and.lon.ge.-82.and.lon.le.-77, \
              U1d,U1d@_FillValue)
  V1d = where(lat.ge.36.and.lat.le.42.and.lon.ge.-82.and.lon.le.-77, \
              V1d,V1d@_FillValue)
  wmvectmap(wks, lat1d, lon1d, U1d, V1d) ; Plot barbs.

If your lat, lon, U, V arrays are already 1D, then you don't need to convert them to 1D first.

--Mary