Re: wrf_helicity function

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 13:04:03 MDT

Piotr,

I asked the developer who provided me with the wrf_helicity Fortran code, and he said he'd look into this when he had time.
He said you should be seeing values between 100-500.

Meanwhile, he provided these comments that might help:

C ***************************************************************
C * Storm Relative Helicity (SRH) is a measure of the *
C * streamwise vorticity within the inflow environment of a *
C * convective storm. It is calculated by multiplying the *
C * storm-relative inflow velocity vector (Vh-C) by the *
C * streamwise vorticity (Zh) and integrating this quantity *
C * over the inflow depth (lowest 1-3 km layers above ground *
C * level). It describes the extent to which corkscrew-like *
C * motion occurs (similar to the spiraling motion of an *
C * American football). SRH corresponds to the transfer of *
C * vorticity from the environment to an air parcel in *
C * convective motion and is used to predict the potential *
C * for tornadic development (cyclonic updraft rotation) in *
C * right-moving supercells. *
C * *
C * There is no clear threshold value for SRH when forecasting *
C * supercells, since the formation of supercells appears to be *
C * related more strongly to the deeper layer vertical shear. *
C * Larger values of 0-3-km SRH (greater than 250 m**2/s**2) *
C * and 0-1-km SRH (greater than 100 m**2/s**2), suggest an *
C * increased threat of tornadoes with supercells. For SRH, *
C * larger values are generally better, but there are no clear *
C * "boundaries" between non-tornadic and significant tornadic *
C * supercells. *
C * *
C * SRH < 100 (lowest 1 km): cutoff value *
C * SRH = 150-299: supercells possible with weak tornadoes *
C * SRH = 300-499: very favorable to supercell development and *
C * strong tornadoes *
C * SRH > 450 : violent tornadoes *