Re: Interpolate the monthly or weekly data into daily data

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 08:08:14 MDT

To my knowledge, there are no NCL functions for doing this
specific task.

The simplest approach would be to use linear interpolation.
Say for monthly to daily

[1] create a target array of length N*365:
      xday = new ( N*365, "float")
     where N is the number of year of daily data to be generated

[2] assign the January monthly mean value to (say) day 16;
     the February value to day 46; etc
     NCL's "day_of_year" can provide the appropriate day to use

[3] Use
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/linint1_n.shtml
or
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/linint1_n.shtml

to perform the interpolation.

[4] Two issues:

(a) the interpolated values will be a very 'conservative' estimate
of the annual cycle. Conservative in the sense that each monthly
mean is, well, an average of the daily values.

(b) The first and last 15 days will be missing so you should
add two extra months (say) a December climatology and a January
climatology at the beginning and end.

Good luck