Read binary file

From: Lei Meng <dream916_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 05 2010 - 13:39:57 MDT

Hi,
   I have not used ncl to read binary file (not familiar with binary file
either) . I have the following information on the binary data format, can I
use ncl to read it?
______________________
The files (one per crop class, separately for irrigated and for rainfed
crops)
are compressed (gnu-zip format) versions of binary files containing 4-byte
floating point values.
The data were generated on a x86 (IBM-PC) low-endian system. Users of
high-endian systems
(e.g. SPARC) need to convert the data by switching the bytes.

Each file contains for each of the 4320 x 2160 grid cells 12 values
indicating the monthly
growing area in hectare. Value at position number 15 would therefore
represent the growing area
of the second cell in the first row in March. The cell order is from North
to South and West to East.
Total necessary disk space for each decompressed file is 4320 x 2160 x 12 x
4 = 447,897,600 bytes.