Re: some questions about the procedure wkSpaceTime

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 08:15:47 MDT

Hello,

You can see the NCL code used via:

%> less $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/diagnostics_cam.ncl

If you want you can extract an modify codes to fit your needs.

===
Maybe:

   nDayWin = 30 ; Wheeler-Kiladis [WK] temporal window length (days)
   nDaySkip = -10 ; time (days) between temporal windows [segments]
                      ; negative means there will be overlapping
temporal segments

===
I guess I did not do the 'significance' for these Space-Time plots.
However, the "MJO CLIVAR" link ...see
     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mjoclivar.shtml

---
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Diagnostics/mjo_cross.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/mjo_cross_coh2pha.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Diagnostics/mjo_cross_plot.shtml
eg:
STC    =  mjo_cross (X, Y, segLen, segOverLap, False)
===
Good luck
On 11/04/2010 02:16 AM, lbqnj wrote:
> Dear all,
> Recently I've used the procedure wkSpaceTime to study the equtorial
> modes during the Indian Summer Monsoon onset process, and the array
> which I input into the procedure is daily OLR from May to Jun containing
> 61 samples. My question is:
> 1. Since the sample number is less than 96, how to choose a suitable
> nDayWin and nDaySkip in the procedure?
> 2. The fig.3 in Wheeler, M., G.N. Kiladis (1999) highlights the
> statistically significant zones which the cases on the website do not
> include, if I want to plot such zones, how to do it?
> Best.
> 2010-11-04
Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |