ncl_convert2nc with ESRI shapefiles?

From: Erica Bickford <ebickford_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 16 2010 - 13:10:44 MST

HI There,

I'm attempting to use ncl_convert2nc to convert some ESRI shapefiles (.shp) to netcdfs, however I get the following error saying .shp is not supported:

fatal:An internal error has occurred. The file format requested does not appear to be supported, could not open (./FAF_2005_Jan_day_upmw_diesel.shp)
fatal:_NclIGetFileVarNames: file does not exist
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 227 in file /tmp/tmp85899.ncl

Yet, from what I can glean from the ncl_talk archives and release notes, shapefiles should be supported as of version 5.2.0--which is the version I'm using.

Does anyone have an explanation or solution for this? Is there a way to convert a .shp to .grb for use with ncl_convert2nc?

I've already been through this with ArcGIS--which *should* convert tables to netcdf, but doesn't work in practice.... I've read that gdal is a good/the only way to convert between these file types, but it'd be great not to have to install and learn another software package....

Thanks,

Erica
UW-Madison