Re: question about Earth..4 database

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 11:45:54 MST

Hi Linjun,

The numbers in the Earth..x don't really have a specific meaning. I
believe the higher number
means that database was added later than the previous ones.

I admit, these Earth...x databases are a bit confusing and it's not
clear where to find documentation on them.

The best short description can be found in the description of the
resource that uses them:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/mp.shtml#mpDataSetName

The lengthier description can be found at:

     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/MapPlotData4_1_earth_4.shtml

You don't need to worry about the Earth..lines, Earth..names files.
These are used
internally when you set res@mpDataSetName = "Earth..4"

For an example of using this database, see examples 16, 19, and 21 at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/maponly.shtml

--Mary